Thursday, August 2, 2012

Why I Love Watching the Olympics?

By Phenola Moore

I remember the scene as if it was yesterday. My Uncle Harold was always amazed at my tumbling skills, when I was a girl. You name it, I could do it.

One day, I was doing a handstand outside along the wall of the building while he was visiting. He said that it looked pretty easy and proceeded to try to do one, too.

Needless to say, his handstand turned into a headstand as his arms buckled from under his weight, and soon after his legs came crashing down to the ground.

He finally stood up and exclaimed that he almost broke his neck trying to keep up with me. And that I made it look so easy.  But tumbling was my thing and I could do it without blinking. 

That’s why I love watching the Olympics because it takes me back to the carefree days of my youth as I reminisce on the practices with the tumbling squad in elementary school or playing outdoors with my friends.

And there are probably thousands of men and women like me who can relate to one aspect of an Olympic event. We had fun doing it and the events bring it all back to us.

For me, it’s gymnastics. I am on pins and needles watching them flip, fly through the air during their tumbling runs. I smile inwardly as I remember the freedom and joy that I felt with every cartwheel, headstand (freestyle or against a wall), handstand (freestyle or against a wall) or split (side and full) that I did as a girl.

That's my reason. What' yours?

###

Update:
Congratulations to the Women’s Gymnastics team for winning gold and Gabrielle “Gabby” Douglas for winning gold in Women's Gymnastics Individual All-Around. Also, for Aly Raisman for winning bronze on the balance beam and gold on the floor exercise.

To read the rest of my writings, log onto www.pressonwebzine.com. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment